Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A flat-heeled shoe.
- ‘The exhibit most people ask about is a pixie ankle boot in turquoise velvet made for Brigitte Bardot, made in the same era is the black flattie designed for Audrey Hepburn.’
- ‘However young and crazed by ‘vintage’, no one will be going out wearing square-toed flatties with space-age mini dresses, that's a given.’
- ‘The idea is that at the end of a long evening's stagger round Bigg Market, you slip off your agonising four-inch heels, stick them in the bag and put on the flatties to walk home.’
- ‘Our first stop was the Camper factory shop, where the famous flatties sell for a fraction of their retail price in the UK.’
- ‘Emigrant Creek entrance is a good spot for the flatties at the moment.’
- ‘The heels have also worn down so far the shoes have become flatties, instead of the fashionable high heels they once were.’
- ‘Shall it be dungarees, trousers, long skirts, short skirts, lipstick, high heels, flatties?’
- ‘After so many seasons of crippling stilettos, the flattie fights back.’
- ‘On the sand you might spot the occasional flattie or anglerfish.’
- ‘On the other hand, don't wait forever as you don't want the little flatties to swallow the hook.’
- ‘Are you one of those divers who assumes that most of the fish off our coasts are wrasse, unless they have both eyes on one side, in which case they're called flatties?’
- ‘A good deal of time is spent trying to catch shrimps, crabs and small flatties for the bucket all to be released.’
- ‘It was designed by dedicated craftsmen exclusively for murdering flatties.’
- ‘It usually takes between 15 and 30 minutes to get one of these big flatties to give in and move off the seabed.’
- ‘Small flatties also proved entertaining, and when a small reef was found, I noted a 15-spined stickleback in some weed.’
- ‘Plenty of interest in the day, and night divers can expect to encounter flatties, including the occasional ray, octopus, small cuttlefish and lobster.’
4dated A police officer.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.