One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who lavishes praise, often insincerely; a sycophant.‘he is not allowing flatterers to deceive him’
sycophant, groveller, fawner, lackey, obsequious person, kowtower, time serverView synonyms
- ‘Men like this associate only with flatterers, and are friends to nobody.’
- ‘Wisdom is also needed in picking and satisfying his closest advisors and avoiding flatterers.’
- ‘The crowd's loud cheers and shouts of applause were typical of the flatterer, excessive and insincere.’
- ‘Artists are mainly flatterers when it comes to the portrait.’
- ‘Your closest retainers and flatterers have never led you astray before and they will not fail you now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.