Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of flat, thin bread that is typically unleavened.
- ‘Nowadays, though, there is a huge variety of rolls, bagels, pittas, flatbreads, ciabattas and baguettes to choose from.’
- ‘Though it is the most primitive of breads - a flatbread baked on stones heated by a wood fire - pizza is today made in pretty much its primordial form on 61,269 street corners in America.’
- ‘Focaccio is the classic Italian flatbread brushed with olive oil and topped with seasonings.’
- ‘Taboon means ‘oven’ in Arabic, specifically the ancient, arched-stone oven used to bake the Middle East's numerous varieties of flatbread.’
- ‘Polar bread, sometimes also called Swedish bread, is a round, soft flatbread with dimples.’
- ‘For example, breakfast might consist of either Lebanese flatbread or French croissants with cheese and coffee or tea.’
- ‘Stuff this Mediterranean-inspired flatbread with lettuce, chicken, tomatoes and a dab of mayonnaise for a grown-up treat.’
- ‘It is a sort of thin flatbread, made with sprouted seeds that have been ground and dehydrated.’
- ‘Increasingly common is the preparation of ruti, a whole wheat circular flatbread, in the morning, which is eaten with curries from the night before.’
- ‘Tingly, minted eggplant, spread on flatbread, must be passed around the table regardless of who ordered it.’
- ‘Season tuna with salt and pepper; arrange on a plate with salad and flatbread.’
- ‘Slice the lamb thickly then place two or three slices on a piece of warm flatbread together with a handful of salad and a large spoonful of yoghurt.’
- ‘Bread, in the form of thin, crisp flatbread, was made from the same grains.’
- ‘Have these ingredients on hand at the cottage for a quick snack served with crisp flatbread, tortilla chips or bagel thins.’
- ‘Shop for all ingredients, including wine, lemonade, and onion flatbread (available in well-stocked supermarkets and in Indian markets).’
- ‘While most are familiar with focaccia, the Italian flatbread, ciabatta was all new to me.’
- ‘Serve together, with some grilled flatbread for dipping and wrapping.’
- ‘Serve piping hot with warmed wholemeal naan or flatbread.’
- ‘There's all the usual suspects: seafood appetizers, flatbread, sandwiches, pasta, salads and some protein.’
- ‘The staple tends to be either flatbread made from imported flour or else locally grown rice.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.