One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horse race over a course with no jumps, as opposed to a steeplechase or hurdles.
- ‘The tragic jockey was riding All Heart for Paddy Mullins in a seven-furlong flat race at Galway when the horse clipped the heels of another horse and fell about half a mile from home.’
- ‘He rides them in national hunt flat races called bumpers but he lets a professional jockey take over for the hurdles.’
- ‘In addition to sponsoring flat races at the country's 59 racetracks, the British fund is in the middle of a major program for jump races.’
- ‘At least one major project at Ascot has fallen behind schedule by up to five weeks, prompting speculation that York Racecourse could once more be the venue for the biggest flat race meeting of the summer.’
- ‘Spectrometer has already brought its celebrity owners some success having won a flat race at York last year as a 33/1 shot.’
- ‘This diminutive lady won seven races in 2004 including a flat race at the Curragh.’
- ‘The flat races - the 100 yards, 440 yards and the mile - have all been removed from the event, to be held on Tuesday August 31.’
- ‘The seven-year-old winner of National Hunt flat races has gone on to greater things on the Flat proper.’
- ‘Racing will commence at 4.30 and the mixed card will consist of three flat races, three chases and a bumper for five, six and seven year olds.’
- ‘I wonder how long it will be before we have a four-runner flat race where Ballydoyle trains all four runners?’
- ‘A five furlong flat race is over in a matter of seconds and any one of the thirty horses in the field is capable of winning it.’
- ‘A mixed card consisting of three flat races, two chases, a hurdle race and a bumper gets underway at 2.45, although it is very likely that at least one race will be divided.’
- ‘Over a glittering career, Mr FitzGerald trained more than 1,200 winners over both jumps and flat races.’
- ‘I also had Majestic Man win a few nice flat races, including a listed race at the Curragh, in 1990, with Paul Eddery riding.’
- ‘‘It seemed to be a very important finding that horses coped much worse if their first race was over a long distance, and that first-race effect particularly noticeable in National Hunt flat races,’ Woods said.’
- ‘The programme is comprised of three flat races and four over the obstacles.’
- ‘It is almost unheard of for a Steeplechaser to revert to a flat race and win.’
- ‘This year celebrates the 225th running of the Vodafone Derby, the greatest flat race in the world.’
- ‘The champion stakes is a series of 12 races in 10 countries over four continents and is one of the world's most prestigious flat races.’
- ‘And he did win a flat race not long ago so he will be in fine order.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.