One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A high-voltage electric short circuit made through the air between exposed conductors.
- ‘Self-cleaning, they improve line performance and reduce flashover.’
- ‘In an instant, an avalanche of electrons is rolling over the surface in a catastrophic flashover.’
- ‘Every single piece of steel in the Minster that will conduct electricity is now bonded with the lightning protection system to stop this sort of flashover.’
- ‘Section 232 requires workers to wear flame resistant outerwear if they could be exposed to a flash fire or electrical equipment flashover.’
- ‘The insulator structure may reduce the occurrence of flashovers to and from the gate lines and emitters when the field emitter device is used in a display.’
2An instance of a fire spreading very rapidly through the air because of intense heat.
- ‘It was only a matter of time before a flashover occurred.’
- ‘It had been a flashover, a kind of reaction when the room was so superheated, that it used everything in the room as fuel and the room then exploded.’
- ‘While the fire load of the fuel was not overwhelmingly large, the flammability meant that the rate of growth of the fire was almost explosive and led to almost instantaneous flashover.’
- ‘They were faced with the possibility of a flashover as the fire, in a matter of minutes, progressed to a stage where it was producing copious amounts of thick smoke.’
- ‘Almost as one everyone pitched their chairs over backward, preparing for the flashover of flame that would spring from the machine, and Jon dove to the floor having already left his chair.’
- ‘The sudden intake of air with the heat of the cigarette caused a flashover and he was trapped as flames and smoke engulfed the vehicle.’
- ‘From the time a fire first breaks out to flashover, when everything catches on fire, can take as little as three minutes.’
- ‘Minutes after they escaped, there was a fire flashover and the whole building went up in flames.’
- ‘In as little as three minutes, a small fire can erupt into flashover.’
- ‘The cameras allow firefighters to find victims in smoke-filled buildings, discover hot spots that point to a fire's origin, and warn of deadly flashovers before they occur.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.