One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device which gives a brief flash of intense light, used for taking photographs indoors or in poor light.
- ‘You will have an SLR, some lenses, some filters, a flashgun and even a tripod.’
- ‘I had also talked Sam into taking a large flashgun down in order to try and get a good picture of Mark descending the shaft.’
- ‘It is best to carry electrical or electronic items as hand luggage, including lamps, cameras, flashguns, computers and even batteries.’
- ‘Luckily, on close inspection I found the only damage to be a crack in the diffuser on one of the flashguns.’
- ‘A flashgun was introduced and I began to get something that was, to my eye at least, quite reasonable.’
- ‘After the two sat down, the Pope smiled and brought his hands to his lap, shielding it from photographers' flashguns in a joking gesture.’
- ‘I make 30 exposures, my flashguns lighting up the fray, a turmoil of thrashing tails and boiling sand.’
- ‘I had no chance of out-swimming the beast, so I braced for impact while stabbing the water between us with the large flashgun on my camera.’
- ‘As usual please bring your cameras, tripods, flashguns, etc for what promises to be a most informative and enjoyable session.’
- ‘Knowing the voltage of electricity provided will help you come suitably equipped to recharge your lamps, camcorders and flashguns.’
- ‘Tyson himself sits, placid, in the undulating waves of white light produced by ranks of flashguns.’
- ‘Many thanks must go everyone (especially Sam) for the countless times they have endured my faffing around setting up flashguns.’
- ‘I switched my flashguns off and held my camera steady for a slow shutter exposure.’
- ‘I'm low on air and on my way back towards the ladder when I see Fred's flashguns blazing in the distance.’
- ‘From out of the blue, a posse of divers with flashguns blazing descends on the scene.’
- ‘There were times when to raise it to my eye would subject the flashgun to the passing current and rip me from my hiding place.’
- ‘Now, to get around this problem, professional photographers will often use a flashgun mounted off to the side of the camera.’
- ‘The members on the forum can discuss individual camera models, lenses, flashguns, film, tripods and paper.’
- ‘But the frenzy of camera clicks and flashguns was as nothing compared to the arrival of the main event moments later.’
- ‘The 15 kg on my belt was nothing compared to the 34 kg on my back, and the big camera housing and heavy flashgun didn't make things any easier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.