Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Make an electric circuit by sparking across a gap.
- ‘The theory here is that the primer flashes over the small powder charge and causes it to detonate.’
- ‘If the voltage is high enough, the insulator flashes over causing a short circuit of the system.’
- ‘An arc then flashes over between these electrodes 24 and 13, giving rise to ionization and pressurization.’
- 1.1(of a fire) spread instantly across a gap because of intense heat.
- ‘Once the fire flashed over the side station, it quickly enveloped the deli restaurant, feeding on the combustible interior finishes and furnishings.’
- ‘At about 4 p.m., the fire ‘flashed over’ and the buildings erupted in a mass of flame, trapping some staff on upper floors.’
- ‘When the driver lifted the engine cover he provided the oxygen that was lacking and the fire ‘flashed over’ and spread quickly through the bus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.