One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Make an electric circuit by sparking across a gap.
- ‘The theory here is that the primer flashes over the small powder charge and causes it to detonate.’
- ‘If the voltage is high enough, the insulator flashes over causing a short circuit of the system.’
- ‘An arc then flashes over between these electrodes 24 and 13, giving rise to ionization and pressurization.’
- 1.1 (of a fire) spread instantly across a gap because of intense heat.
- ‘Once the fire flashed over the side station, it quickly enveloped the deli restaurant, feeding on the combustible interior finishes and furnishings.’
- ‘When the driver lifted the engine cover he provided the oxygen that was lacking and the fire ‘flashed over’ and spread quickly through the bus.’
- ‘At about 4 p.m., the fire ‘flashed over’ and the buildings erupted in a mass of flame, trapping some staff on upper floors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.