Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A portable flashing electric lamp such as a flashgun.
- ‘The total energy emitted by a typical mobile phone transmitter is about the same as the total energy, light energy, emitted by a flash lamp.’
- ‘After the power cut people were in the station with flash lamps and candles, things were slowly working away.’
- ‘The second item which is very necessary too, is a good reliable flash lamp.’
- ‘The previous unattractive ambience was immediately replaced by dazzling lights, flickering flash lamps, heart stirring music, applause and admiring looks.’
- ‘Some lasers can present other risks, such as the excimer laser, which uses toxic gases, or lasers that use a flash lamp, which can explode.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.