Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A valve opened and closed by a plate hinged at one side.
- ‘The divers were expected to start work tonight on installing a section of pipe and a flap valve to an existing culvert.’
- ‘There the nozzle moves a flapper valve that seals the system out of the way.’
- ‘We have done some work in Malton by installing flap valves into the drainage system and these have had an effect in keeping water levels down slightly.’
- ‘Its only moving parts are a spring-loaded ‘clack’ valve and a non-return flap valve.’
- ‘The valve assembly includes one or more flapper valves that are able to pass a ball through at a minimum flow rate of fluid, enabling the ball to be used to operate the disconnect device.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.