One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A weapon that sprays out burning fuel.
- ‘The fear of fire was such that any man seen carrying a flame-thrower was an immediate target and was generally protected by a party of riflemen.’
- ‘Each time the man fired his flame-thrower, its counter-thrust pushed him further out of the lupine captain's reach.’
- ‘The UK has exported flame-throwers, machine-guns, grenades, smoke - bombs and mortars to the Gulf state.’
- ‘Well, basically, it will be like the flame-thrower and the hand grenade being used all at once.’
- ‘You can upgrade your already present cannon or purchase new weapon types including plasma bolts, lasers, flame-throwers and grenades.’
- ‘There are rocket launchers, grenade launchers, flame-throwers, laserguns, cannons, bombs, shotguns, chainsaws, pistols, revolvers, and machine guns all at Stone's disposal.’
- ‘Just before contact close-range weapons were deployed, and some of these have been found on the wrecks: swivel guns firing scatter-shot; flame-throwers mounted on poles; and fire-pots.’
- ‘You can provoke them, you can alarm them, you can put rockets under them and turn flame-throwers on them.’
- ‘Furthermore, the infantry acquired more of its own firepower - principally through light machine guns and grenades but also through the use of flame-throwers and mobile trench mortars.’
- ‘OK, you'll find the usual array of grenade launchers, flame-throwers, rifles, and handguns, etc.’
- ‘The only way was to send in Marines with rifles and grenades and flame-throwers.’
- ‘Will the helicopter gunships and the marines suddenly descend Colombia-style on the newly planted heroin fields and turn on the flame-throwers?’
- ‘The mothers believe the Russian security forces used flame-throwers and tanks in the fighting that broke out when the siege ended.’
- ‘Machine-guns, gas, high explosives, flame-throwers and air attacks slaughtered the lines of men marching out of the trenches.’
- ‘They also have two flame-throwers, as well as the intruder defense and gas systems of the ship.’
- ‘The pounding of the cannon increased; there was the rat-tat-tatting of machine guns, and from somewhere came the menacing pocketa-pocketa-pocketa of the new flame-throwers.’
- ‘They've been throwing rocks and flame-throwers!’
- ‘Every one of these men had a story to tell of terror by day and by night, of ceaseless attacks with flame-throwers, tanks and self propelling guns firing high explosive and armour-piercing shells.’
- ‘He admires ‘the flexible use of artillery in support of storm troops capable of providing their own fire-power with light machines guns, flame-throwers, grenades and mortars’.’
- ‘Several of the Guardians had range weapons like bazookas or flame-throwers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.