One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(especially of a fabric) treated so as to be non-flammable.
non-flammable, non-inflammable, flame-resistant, fire-resistant, flame-retardant, incombustible, uninflammable, unburnableView synonyms
- ‘Poachers had reclaimed it as a hide and then a watercolourist had sheltered in it from a heath-fire because the mud walls were thick as a flameproof blanket.’
- ‘So, if we found a way to make anything flameproof, using your technology of course, you would have claim to most of our work?’
- ‘She explained that standard fans and not special flameproof fans (which have spark presenters) were installed.’
- ‘Cassocks are similarly inadvisable in a force 10 gale, replaced by the standard hard hat, flameproof overalls, safety goggles, boots and gloves.’
- ‘Keep the safety factor in mind when you make pajamas; flameproof fabric is often used for younger children's sleeping clothing.’
- ‘Arc welding and cutting operations should be shielded by non-combustible or flameproof shields to protect employees from direct rays.’
- 1.1 (of cookware) able to be used either in an oven or on a hob.‘a flameproof casserole’
- ‘Using a flameproof 2-quart soufflé dish or deep, enameled cast-iron pan, assemble the panade in layers.’
- ‘Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole or deep saucepan (one with a lid); it should be wide enough to hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer.’
- ‘In a heavy, flameproof casserole, cook the sausages and duck in the olive oil until their fat runs and the sausages and duck are golden on all sides.’
- ‘Heat a shallow, flameproof cast-iron casserole or deep sauté pan (with lid) until you feel a strong heat rising.’
- ‘Put the pieces into a flameproof glass, stainless steel or china dish with the wine, oil, herbs, garlic and peppercorns.’
- ‘Serve risotto in the flameproof dish or arrange on a warmed serving plate.’
- ‘Put the slices of fennel in a flameproof dish and brush with a little olive oil.’
- ‘Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded frying pan or flameproof casserole, and brown the lamb shanks well on all sides.’
- ‘The grilling may be done over the flame or indirectly, the food being shielded by a flameproof metal mat, or in a pan.’
- ‘Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and fry the onions until golden brown, for about 10-15 minutes.’
- ‘Melt 25g of the butter in a flameproof casserole dish.’
- ‘As the fennel finishes browning, remove the wedges to a flameproof baking dish.’
- ‘Arrange the toast around the edges on a flameproof platter.’
Make (something) flameproof.
- ‘The octa formulation is used primarily to flameproof plastic casings on office equipment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.