One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A priest serving a particular deity.
- ‘Mark Antony was designated his flamen.’
- ‘An inscription recounts that the bridge was built as a bequest in his will by one Flavos, a Romanized Gaulish aristocrat who was a flamen of the Imperial Cult of Rome and Augustus.’
- ‘He created a new priest, the flamen Iulialis, to supervise the cult of the deified Julius Caesar, just as Numa had created the flamen Quirinalis for the worship of Romulus as a god after his death.’
- ‘If these men had such a king as this, who, while self-indulgent, should lay no severe restraint on them, they would more enthusiastically consecrate to him a temple and a flamen than the ancient Romans did to Romulus.’
- ‘There follows a period of Lent and abstinences: no marriage is performed in this period, the flaminica, wife of the flamen Dialis, is not allowed to have intercourse with her husband.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.