Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of trees with brilliant red flowers, in particular.
- ‘There were two lounges, a desk, a large orange coloured bed and a potted Mizami flame tree in a corner.’
- ‘We had a huge flame tree in the front yard, and the mechanic's pit in the garage had been converted into a bomb shelter, covered by corrugated metal roofing.’
- ‘A dozen native trees will be saved, including melaleucas, coolamons, conifers, a flame tree and a lilly pilly.’
- ‘One trail led through thick fig-tree roots, berry-covered bushes, and massive flame trees to the island's 400-foot crest.’
- ‘The flame trees and lillypillies from the original site have now been returned.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.