One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A day on which money is collected for a charity in the street and donors are given small paper badges to show they have contributed.
- ‘Castlecomer Basketball Club would like to thank all those who contributed to our flag day, both on the street and at the Church gates at the weekend.’
- ‘All those who help with its work today are still volunteers, and a flag day takes place each year to raise money for cassette and recording equipment.’
- ‘If he finds it a problem to replace them, may I suggest the town holds a flag day each year called ‘New Suit for the Mayor Day’.’
- ‘A flag day in Swanley organised by the North West Kent branch of the British Polio Fellowship raised £394.37.’
- ‘A special word of thanks to all who contributed to the flag day.’
- ‘Annual flag day is this May Bank Holiday weekend and we would ask everybody to subscribe as generously as possible.’
- ‘Locally, fundraising consists of an annual Church Gate collection, a golf classic in May, an annual flag day and personal donations.’
- ‘Only one hour is needed to help make the charity's flag day even better than ever.’
- ‘The club would like to thank, sincerely, all who gave of their time to collect and support their recent flag day in Carlow town.’
- ‘The unit would like to thank everyone who contributed to the successful flag day held recently.’
- ‘It is looking for volunteers to help collect for it during its flag day on July 5.’
- ‘The committee have also thanked all those who contributed to their recent flag day and add that they look forward to seeing all in 2004.’
- ‘Not only did the money go, the takings of our flag day, but he took the only set of weights we had for training.’
- ‘The club would like to thank all those who helped out and contributed to the recent flag day.’
- ‘It raised more than £580 during a flag day in Bexley on July 3.’
- ‘She thanked everyone who helped with the church gate collection and our annual flag day.’
- ‘These included a flag day, sale of badges, a garden fête and private donations.’
- ‘Many thanks is extended to all who contributed and participated in the flag day held recently.’
- ‘The Community Games organizers would like to thank everyone who supported their flag day and also those who collected.’
- ‘Well, two ex-service charities that do help war veterans have been brought to the council's notice; and the parish council is well placed to organise a flag day for those two charities.’
2(in the US) 14 June, the anniversary of the adoption of the Stars and Stripes in 1777.
- ‘The Flag Day ceremony was staged by the Blue Star / Gold Star Mothers of America, an organization started in 1942.’
- ‘June 14 is also Flag Day in the United States, so the public is invited to a ‘Grand Prix-View’ as Indianapolis gives a patriotic welcome to the world at 11: 30 a.m.’
- ‘In this story, Flag Day marks the anniversary of the banner's ‘birth,’ with Betsy Ross its mother.’
- ‘Every year since then, each president has proclaimed June 14th to be Flag Day.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.