One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1usually as modifier An act of repairing or putting something right.‘a fixit shop’
contrive, arrange, find a way, engineer a way, manageView synonyms
- ‘To someone like myself, with a long interest in tools but little education in anything but house owner's fixit implements, it was a continuing challenge and a guaranteed source of satisfaction.’
- ‘It had been making these pained groaning sounds for a week or so now, but seemed to be responding to the well-placed kicks and turn-it-off-then-turn-it-on-again fixit method that I apply to all electronics.’
- ‘We took the lawnmower to the fixit man, as it made a fearsome noise when I started it.’
- 1.1 A person known for repairing things or putting things in order.‘he pictured himself as a Mr Fixit’
odd-job man, handyman, general handyman, general employee, man of all work, maid of all work, jack of all trades, personal assistantView synonyms
- ‘I love walking around there and I'm not even a fixit type.’
Early 20th century: from Little Miss Fixit, the title of a musical show.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.