One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Odds in betting (especially on soccer results) that are predetermined, as opposed to a pool system or a starting price.
- ‘The next stage of the interactive service will be launched in 2003, when more wagering options will become available, as well as fixed odds from several bookmakers.’
- ‘I am looking to get behind them this weekend, possibly on the fixed odds, since the spread firms may pitch them a bit too high.’
- ‘Traditional, or fixed odds, betting turnover increased from €7.7m to €8.1m.’
- ‘But these fixed odds bets don't really set the pulses racing.’
- ‘For the purposes of this section, bookmakers offering fixed odds on course betting must comply with the provisions of this Act relating to fixed odds betting with any necessary modifications.’
- ‘Hill would have stuck to credit betting and fixed odds only for his friend Jack Swift persuading him to get on the bandwagon in the late sixties before it would be too late.’
- ‘It offers true odds instead of fixed odds.’
- ‘The bullish forecasts are due to strong growth in the company's online business and a further roll-out of its fixed odds betting terminals - machines in betting shops that let punters play games such as electronic roulette.’
- ‘The fixed odds betting machines are big money spinners for bookmakers in Britain, with margins of up to 3 per cent adding to the overall profitability of shops.’
- ‘More recently, the introduction of fixed odds betting terminals, offering additional games such as virtual roulette, have whetted the appetite of punters.’
- ‘The group is also expected to update the market on the roll-out and trading of its fixed odds betting terminals and business in its international operations.’
- ‘The exchanges offer bettors popular options such as fixed odds and lower commissions on wagers.’
- ‘On the fixed odds, try and get 5/1 or better on the semis or final being decided on penalties, these are the games most likely to be drawn at 90 minutes.’
- ‘He added that prospects for the gaming industry remained good, boosted by the introduction of virtual betting machines, or fixed odds betting terminals offering games such as roulette.’
- ‘The number of fixed odds betting terminals across its stores increased from 1,745 to 2,525 during the first six months of 2003.’
- ‘The other players are paid according to their remaining stakes at the following fixed odds.’
- ‘Instead of spreads or fixed odds, it is the Asian preference for, and market in, ‘line betting’ - fixed-odds betting with a handicapping element - which makes cricket the perfect vehicle.’
- ‘It does not offer fixed odds but allows customers to make their own odds and search for individuals willing to take them on.’
- ‘No, the real betting this time round won't be at fixed odds, but against a spread.’
- ‘The principal attraction of spread betting over fixed odds gambling is the almost unlimited gains that can be made.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.