Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The faculties of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch.
- ‘The most powerful experiences touch all five senses, not just those two.’
- ‘But it is true that he regarded the pure truths of mathematics as incomparably more certain than any perceptions of the five senses.’
- ‘Smell may be the most evocative of the five senses but I defy you to find any in news stories, even the food pages.’
- ‘Which of the five senses is most important to you?’
- ‘You are no doubt familiar with the five senses: sight, touch, hearing, smell and taste.’
- ‘With just a click of a button, a reader's five senses come alive and they can literally hear, smell, feel, see, and touch the whole event for themselves.’
- ‘He thought about dreams, consciousness, and his five senses.’
- ‘All five senses are involved, not just our sense of sight.’
- ‘It would attack a combination of the five senses - sight, smell, hearing, touch and taste - and potentially also the ability of the target to think and move.’
- ‘And I wrote that one when I was about five or six, when I was in kindergarten and we were studying about the five senses.’
- ‘And yet, of all the five senses, the history of touch is the hardest to write.’
- ‘But the chefs have an instinctive understanding of stimulating all five senses.’
- ‘We all use our eyes to see things and ears to hear things, we touch, taste and feel, we've got our five senses.’
- ‘Of the five senses, only taste doesn't get dealt with much in this section (though it does later in the book).’
- ‘Second, while not one of the five senses, movement can enhance the gathering of information.’
- ‘The only way that we apprehend reality is through our five senses.’
- ‘Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?’
- ‘Which of your five senses do you treasure the most?’
- ‘A safari in southern Africa appeals to all five senses.’
- ‘So in addition to the usual five senses of sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell, the mental function is counted as the sixth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.