One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player positioned between the scrum half and the three-quarters.
- ‘He thinks Dan Carter is one of the best first five-eighths in the world.’
- ‘The five-eighth was able to take full advantage of his forward pack's size and strength to dominate the fringes of the ruck and score three tries.’
- ‘He is definitely a five-eighth because he likes to glide across the field rather than take on the opposition and he also possesses a strong left-foot kicking game, which is an advantage in any team.’
- ‘His first five-eighth made some clever solo runs.’
- ‘But I was probably a better five-eighth than Mark was and he was only an average fullback compared to me anyway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.