One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a vehicle) having four doors to provide access to passenger seating, and a fifth door at the back that opens upwards to provide easy access for loading.‘the company is introducing a five-door hatchback’
- ‘This model is a very nice vehicle and practical too, now that the five-door has arrived.’
- ‘This small five-door is available with both 1.0 and 1.3 litre petrol engines.’
- ‘The vehicle is a sporty, five-door four-seater hatchback.’
- ‘The model will be available as a more family-friendly five-door version.’
- ‘The vehicle only comes in five-door form but it looks very sporty, sleek, and ready for action.’
- ‘The three-strong fleet of funeral vehicles — including a prototype five-door hearse fresh from the German production line — has been bought specifically to mark the centenary year of this small firm of funeral directors.’
- ‘It's available as a saloon, five-door hatchback, or estate, and there's no disputing it is a hot competitor to its rivals.’
- ‘With the arrival of the five-door versions, success is set to continue.’
- ‘With its five-door layout and high roof, the car is easy to enter and rear seat passengers have more headroom.’
- ‘The five-door models have been given powered windows all-round.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.