One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not regularly or continuously; intermittently.‘he slept fitfully’
intermittently, sporadically, spasmodically, irregularly, patchily, discontinuously, erratically, by fits and starts, in fits and starts, in snatchesView synonyms
- ‘The engine didn't so much pull as tug fitfully at the wheels.’
- ‘I had thought earlier that I might be able to get to sleep, but after 2 hours of trying fitfully, I am giving in.’
- ‘But they remain startlingly original, if only fitfully funny.’
- ‘He is blessed as an autobiographer with an outstandingly strange and only fitfully happy childhood.’
- ‘I had also been sleeping fitfully and dreaming about the race all night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.