One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long thread of silk or nylon attached to a baited hook, with a sinker or float, and used for catching fish.
- ‘He then used a fishing line to hook the painting off the wall.’
- ‘On the pier, small boys drop baited fishing lines into sluggish, muddy water.’
- ‘Longlines are fishing lines that can stretch over dozens of miles and are baited with hundreds of hooks.’
- ‘Tackle consists of some nylon fishing line and a small hook.’
- ‘Then, as now, I found that sewing with nylon fishing line rather than thread worked best for my needs.’
- ‘Strung through this little crab subdivision were two fishing lines, threaded through a system of pulleys.’
- ‘His voice rises and falls like a cork float on a fishing line.’
- ‘I would therefore appeal to fishermen to take more care when discarding their fishing lines and hooks, because swans use that area.’
- ‘A mid-sized rig loomed in the distance, floating on the water with several fishing lines cast over the sides.’
- ‘The male swan, or cob, was unable to free itself for three days after a fishing hook became embedded in its leg and the fishing line got wrapped around it.’
- ‘You don't need fishing lines to catch these fish!’
- ‘Some nets are even outfitted with sonar to allow fishermen to steer their nets around obstacles and keep fishing lines at the same depth as their target.’
- ‘In fishing for shark, there is a 30-foot cable between the fishing line and the bait.’
- ‘Alone on the water, he sets up his fishing lines with the utmost precision, a skill that other fisherman lack.’
- ‘Japanese scientists attracted the squid toward cameras attached to a baited fishing line.’
- ‘Once again he rummaged blindly beneath him for something to use as a fishing line and hook.’
- ‘Conservationists estimate that as many as 100,000 albatrosses and 200,000 other birds are killed each year when they get hooked on the fishing lines and drown.’
- ‘Mr Dilworth, realising if he didn't act quickly there would be a tragedy, cut the tackle of his fishing line to which he attached a three ounce weight.’
- ‘These include artificial tendons and ligaments, biodegradable fishing lines, parachute cords, and bulletproof vests.’
- ‘She had stopped paddling, and was taking in the fishing lines and rod, which had provided only one small fish so far.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.