One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long thread of silk or nylon attached to a baited hook, with a sinker or float, and used for catching fish.
- ‘The male swan, or cob, was unable to free itself for three days after a fishing hook became embedded in its leg and the fishing line got wrapped around it.’
- ‘He then used a fishing line to hook the painting off the wall.’
- ‘Conservationists estimate that as many as 100,000 albatrosses and 200,000 other birds are killed each year when they get hooked on the fishing lines and drown.’
- ‘Strung through this little crab subdivision were two fishing lines, threaded through a system of pulleys.’
- ‘Some nets are even outfitted with sonar to allow fishermen to steer their nets around obstacles and keep fishing lines at the same depth as their target.’
- ‘Then, as now, I found that sewing with nylon fishing line rather than thread worked best for my needs.’
- ‘Once again he rummaged blindly beneath him for something to use as a fishing line and hook.’
- ‘Tackle consists of some nylon fishing line and a small hook.’
- ‘She had stopped paddling, and was taking in the fishing lines and rod, which had provided only one small fish so far.’
- ‘I would therefore appeal to fishermen to take more care when discarding their fishing lines and hooks, because swans use that area.’
- ‘Longlines are fishing lines that can stretch over dozens of miles and are baited with hundreds of hooks.’
- ‘Japanese scientists attracted the squid toward cameras attached to a baited fishing line.’
- ‘His voice rises and falls like a cork float on a fishing line.’
- ‘On the pier, small boys drop baited fishing lines into sluggish, muddy water.’
- ‘Mr Dilworth, realising if he didn't act quickly there would be a tragedy, cut the tackle of his fishing line to which he attached a three ounce weight.’
- ‘A mid-sized rig loomed in the distance, floating on the water with several fishing lines cast over the sides.’
- ‘In fishing for shark, there is a 30-foot cable between the fishing line and the bait.’
- ‘These include artificial tendons and ligaments, biodegradable fishing lines, parachute cords, and bulletproof vests.’
- ‘Alone on the water, he sets up his fishing lines with the utmost precision, a skill that other fisherman lack.’
- ‘You don't need fishing lines to catch these fish!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.