One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A search or investigation undertaken with the hope, though not the stated purpose, of discovering information.‘they worried about an FBI fishing expedition’
- ‘Where did all the information from these fishing expeditions go?’
- ‘It smacks to me of a fishing expedition in the hope it may justify the prolonged nature of this otherwise pointless enquiry.’
- ‘The commission has an unfettered power to undertake a fishing expedition to search for evidence to endeavour to prove its cases.’
- ‘These laws provide a clear framework for responding to national security concerns while safeguarding against random searches, fishing expeditions or invasions of privacy.’
- ‘I do not regard a search for what appears to be very relevant information as a mere fishing expedition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.