One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A search or investigation undertaken with the hope, though not the stated purpose, of discovering information.‘they worried about an FBI fishing expedition’
- ‘Where did all the information from these fishing expeditions go?’
- ‘I do not regard a search for what appears to be very relevant information as a mere fishing expedition.’
- ‘These laws provide a clear framework for responding to national security concerns while safeguarding against random searches, fishing expeditions or invasions of privacy.’
- ‘The commission has an unfettered power to undertake a fishing expedition to search for evidence to endeavour to prove its cases.’
- ‘It smacks to me of a fishing expedition in the hope it may justify the prolonged nature of this otherwise pointless enquiry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.