Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman who catches fish, especially for a living.
- ‘The fishermen and fisherwomen formed a Free Society of Fishermen to defend their legal rights and to protect the widowed and orphaned.’
- ‘The fisherwomen take anything you give for the fish.’
- ‘A local fisherwoman said that even with the lower fuel costs, fishermen and women would still face financial losses.’
- ‘She was a keen fisherwoman, she loved and collected books, and she was a prodigious letter writer.’
- ‘A fisherman was more likely to have his name and occupational title noted than a fisherwoman.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.