One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who catches fish for a living or for sport.
- ‘The sons and daughters of fishermen and farmers are doctors, lawyers and engineers.’
- ‘That would drive prices down and encourage fishermen to catch more fish to make the same amount of money.’
- ‘A giant squid shocked the fisherman who caught it in his net off the coast of Vancouver Island.’
- ‘All over Europe fishing communities blame other fishermen for their problems.’
- ‘After more than one hour both the fish and the fishermen were tired.’
- ‘There seemed to be no sense at all in importing supplies our own fishermen should have been catching.’
- ‘Prices of prawns are still low and supply is steady giving local fishermen a living.’
- ‘When fishermen caught species in their net that were over quota they had to throw them back into the sea.’
- ‘The perception of the fishermen was that the fish were still there to be caught.’
- ‘There are several different varieties and are a favourite of sport fishermen in those areas.’
- ‘At the time these fisherman were going out sports fishing with hand lines.’
- ‘As I gazed in the direction of his usual path, I saw fishermen bring back their catch of the day.’
- ‘Experts say increasing financial pressures are forcing fishermen to sell extra fish on the black market.’
- ‘We are all, of course, sport fishermen but there are times when the welfare of some local children has to take priority.’
- ‘The suggestion is that instead of fish, the fisherman himself has been caught in the net.’
- ‘In the evening, when the sun went down, we decided to go fishing with the local fishermen.’
- ‘However, the vast majority of bait fishermen will use fresh fish roe wrapped round the hook or sometimes put in small bags.’
- ‘For the local fishermen, however, fishing for the snappers is a way of life.’
- ‘Wouldn't it be nice if sport fishermen were able to drag up catches like that from our waters?’
- ‘These seasonal fishermen trapped fish from the swollen rivers for fun as well as profit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.