One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pond in which live fish are kept.
- ‘And it's the fish pond that sparked the idea of breeding frogs.’
- ‘In the other half, hard paving leading to a fish pond and a vertical water feature now gives a wonderful view from inside the house.’
- ‘The fish pond was quite frozen over so I went out and, ever so gently, made a breathing hole.’
- ‘It was just about the last straw when three ducks came to live in my garden fish pond.’
- ‘The garden is looking good, the fish pond is planted and cleaning up nicely with its new filtration system, and the workshop is now weatherproof and ready for interior decoration.’
- 1.1North American An attraction at a fair where contestants try to catch a toy fish in order to win a prize.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.