One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oval pan for cooking a whole fish.
saucepan, frying pan, pot, casserole, wok, skillet, bain-marie, pressure cooker, poacher, chafing dishView synonyms
- ‘There is a wall of old kitchen ranges, stoves and spits and shelves of gleaming antique copper kitchenware: raised pie and blancmange moulds, fish kettles, stock pots, skillets.’
- ‘My mother-in-law's recipe for eating them cold is simple: put the fish in a fish kettle and cover the whole with cold water.’
- ‘I usually buy a whole salmon as I have a fish kettle.’
- ‘Put it in a fish kettle, cover with water and boil slowly for half an hour.’
- ‘Scottish couples are ditching such wedding list staples as toasters, towels and fish kettles for a bottle or 12 of vintage Bordeaux or champagne.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.