One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of fried fish fillets served with chips.
- ‘Stroll along the beach, climb the small hill on the front and then reward yourself with the great fish and chips served in the village.’
- ‘And, he says, he's ordered fish and chips at some of London's finest restaurants.’
- ‘Local cafes took pity on the crowd and delivered fish and chips and coffees ‘on the house’.’
- ‘I still had time to spare and so I pulled into the town hall carpark for a comfort call and smelled the tempting aroma of fresh fish and chips.’
- ‘The chefs were therefore taken through 50 dishes on the day, everything from fish and chips, to a Sunday roast.’
- ‘She said it was the best fish and chips she had ever tasted.’
- ‘Still we went out and got the best fish and chips I've ever tasted.’
- ‘One lucky voter will also win free fish and chips for a year.’
- ‘It's OK to have the occasional chocolate bar and crisps but you shouldn't have fish and chips every night.’
- ‘I remember us eating fish and chips from the van that sold them outside the pub.’
- ‘And finally, it makes you appreciate how amazing fish and chips can taste!’
- ‘After a mere sniff of some fish and chips and a quick gulp of coffee, he is off again to another appointment.’
- ‘We also make great fish and chips up here, with the amazing produce we have, which they just can't do elsewhere.’
- ‘Anyone who knows me will know of my waistline-busting love of traditional British fish and chips.’
- ‘Along the way we passed someone eating fish and chips and my decision was made: No cordon-bleu or haute cuisine for me.’
- ‘It was simple fish and chips with mushy peas, but of a superior quality with excellent cod in a crisp and light batter.’
- ‘So, still on a bit of a food theme, I want to tell you about probably the best fish and chips in the world.’
- ‘It is not the sort of place for a long lingering meal, but is rather the place to go when you are down at the beach and just feel like some fish and chips.’
- ‘I tried to eat fish and chips a few times and I wouldn't have it again.’
- ‘It was a cute seaside place that boasted the best fish and chips in all of California.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.