One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of fried fish fillets served with chips.
- ‘We also make great fish and chips up here, with the amazing produce we have, which they just can't do elsewhere.’
- ‘It was a cute seaside place that boasted the best fish and chips in all of California.’
- ‘So, still on a bit of a food theme, I want to tell you about probably the best fish and chips in the world.’
- ‘I remember us eating fish and chips from the van that sold them outside the pub.’
- ‘Stroll along the beach, climb the small hill on the front and then reward yourself with the great fish and chips served in the village.’
- ‘Along the way we passed someone eating fish and chips and my decision was made: No cordon-bleu or haute cuisine for me.’
- ‘Anyone who knows me will know of my waistline-busting love of traditional British fish and chips.’
- ‘And, he says, he's ordered fish and chips at some of London's finest restaurants.’
- ‘Local cafes took pity on the crowd and delivered fish and chips and coffees ‘on the house’.’
- ‘One lucky voter will also win free fish and chips for a year.’
- ‘She said it was the best fish and chips she had ever tasted.’
- ‘Still we went out and got the best fish and chips I've ever tasted.’
- ‘It's OK to have the occasional chocolate bar and crisps but you shouldn't have fish and chips every night.’
- ‘The chefs were therefore taken through 50 dishes on the day, everything from fish and chips, to a Sunday roast.’
- ‘I tried to eat fish and chips a few times and I wouldn't have it again.’
- ‘And finally, it makes you appreciate how amazing fish and chips can taste!’
- ‘It was simple fish and chips with mushy peas, but of a superior quality with excellent cod in a crisp and light batter.’
- ‘After a mere sniff of some fish and chips and a quick gulp of coffee, he is off again to another appointment.’
- ‘I still had time to spare and so I pulled into the town hall carpark for a comfort call and smelled the tempting aroma of fresh fish and chips.’
- ‘It is not the sort of place for a long lingering meal, but is rather the place to go when you are down at the beach and just feel like some fish and chips.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.