Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The first agricultural produce or animal offspring of a season.
- ‘There they were to bring their burnt offerings and other sacrifices, tithes and contributions, offerings, and the firstlings of their herds and flocks.’
- ‘The Bible instructs the faithful to tithe their grain, wine, and oil along with the firstlings of the herds and flocks.’
- ‘The firstlings, both human and animal, were commonly believed to belong to God in a special way.’
- ‘Every first-born is mine: and every firstling among thy cattle.’
- ‘In the course of time, Cain brought to the Lord an offering of the fruit of the ground, and Abel for his part brought of the firstlings of his flock, their fat portions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.