One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1First of all.
- ‘Can I just say first up that as far as the state of play in journalism is concerned, I actually think things aren't so bad.’
- ‘So first up, how long have you been working here (probably not long cos the bar's just opened)!’
- ‘That means that this motion will in fact be debated first up.’
- ‘They fielded well first up to dismiss the Razzle for 171.’
- ‘Miriama Kamo presents the mix of local and US tales - first up, a story about US swingers, and Pete Cronshaw investigates a Coromandel property developer.’
- ‘So first up, what kind of show is he bringing down under?’
- ‘But there are some key things the most successful websites have in common - first up, they are simple, have content the people want to read and it has to be current.’
- ‘And when I read it first up, I thought ‘That doesn't seem real.’’
- 1.1Australian, NZ At the first attempt.
- ‘They had been beaten in the first round last year but came out strong by winning their first up match convincingly.’
- ‘Wilson had beaten Damian Smith first up, then both David Wilson and me in cover, before George knocked the ball from his hands with that despairing late dive.’
- ‘But this year both have hit the ground first up with viewers, unusual for Seven and a worry for Nine if it continues.’
- ‘You would not have to undergo the painful trial and error process of learning how to shave, one of your old men could show you the correct way first up.’
- ‘A first up Saturday game against Sandringham gave the team an idea of what it was in for.’
- ‘Of course this countries attention was on the first up game, also known as NZ v SA.’
- ‘Dalton says they have drawn Oracle first up which will be a good wake up call.’
- ‘A goal to midfielder Heather Garriock in the first half proved the difference as the team set about playing with a bit more flair than in their stodgy first up loss to the Brazilians.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.