One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The officer second in command to the master of a merchant ship.
- ‘Finn watches his first mate wave the makeshift truce flag at the ship, hoping he wasn't about to see his friend get blown to smithereens.’
- ‘The first mate quickly retrieved the captain's red shirt.’
- ‘Irishman Charles Lucas, a ship's first mate, was honoured for bravery during action in the Baltic during the Crimean War.’
- ‘He took the captain's gig back to the Bastante where he passed on the Captain's words to the first mate.’
- ‘In 1789, the first mate of the Bounty, Fletcher Christian, had cast Captain Bligh and 18 others adrift in an open boat.’
- ‘Early in the story, Jim finds himself first mate on a ship badly damaged at sea.’
- ‘The first mate was in charge on deck, and Devlin, the cook, was cooking up a meal of all the perishable food.’
- ‘The first mate threw a glance over the sailors crowded on the main deck.’
- ‘Throwing the captain, his first mate and even half the crew of the Titanic overboard would not have avoided imminent disaster.’
- ‘The first mate grinned and held out a hand for the captain.’
- ‘The Captain looked as though he wished the first mate was lying lifeless on the floor with the dead men.’
- ‘Amy did not feel as if she needed to properly address a mere sailor, even if he was the first mate.’
- ‘The first mate flinched when he heard the Captain bark his name as he entered up from under deck.’
- ‘Upon reach the ship, the first mate looked back over his shoulder.’
- ‘Both their captain and the first mate abandon them on a sinking ship with no food and no hope.’
- ‘Like a seasoned first mate, I learned quickly how to give orders.’
- ‘When everyone was served, the cook filled a basket with food for the lookout and helmsman and set it out near the first mate.’
- ‘The captain commanded Jose to stop and his first mate obeyed.’
- ‘During the trip, Jones unexpectedly became the ship's master when its captain and first mate died suddenly.’
- ‘With the crew distributed among three boats, the captain, Pollard, on the advice of the first mate, Chase, took a fatally wrong decision.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.