Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The score achieved by a team who have kept possession of the ball by advancing at least ten yards in a series of four downs.
- ‘Next time your favorite team misses a first down by one or two chain links, remember those lost inches that nobody seems to care about.’
- ‘The first-team offense netted 297 yards and 12 first downs.’
- ‘The Chiefs' last two games have yielded some huge numbers - more than 70 first downs, 1,000 total yards and 101 points.’
- ‘Seattle's first-string offense had just 16 total yards and no first downs in the first quarter.’
- ‘Carr scrambled away from the rush and found Bradford for an 8-yard completion and a first down.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.