One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The score achieved by a team who have kept possession of the ball by advancing at least ten yards in a series of four downs.
- ‘The first-team offense netted 297 yards and 12 first downs.’
- ‘The Chiefs' last two games have yielded some huge numbers - more than 70 first downs, 1,000 total yards and 101 points.’
- ‘Carr scrambled away from the rush and found Bradford for an 8-yard completion and a first down.’
- ‘Next time your favorite team misses a first down by one or two chain links, remember those lost inches that nobody seems to care about.’
- ‘Seattle's first-string offense had just 16 total yards and no first downs in the first quarter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.