Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for prime cost
- ‘Gasoline-driven generators have the lowest first costs.’
- ‘In determining the best option, facility executives must look beyond first costs to evaluate which one best meets the economic, comfort and aesthetic needs of the facility.’
- ‘The software programs are complex and not foolproof, but owners and designers are increasingly turning to them to cut first costs and improve building performance.’
- ‘As architectural clients, developers are highly sensitive to first costs, so this example suggests there's a market for the quality of architecture that sustainability provides.’
- ‘By simply considering first costs, facility executives will miss many opportunities to improve operating efficiency.’
- ‘When examining flooring options, there are a number of factors that must be examined in addition to first costs.’
- ‘In New York City and other areas with high energy costs, the ability to tap natural gas during peak air conditioning periods can help facility executives recoup their first costs in the first year.’
- ‘The following case studies reflect a systematic approach to design - in each case yielding lower first costs for the building owners.’
- ‘Why are few factors beyond first costs considered when selecting flooring?’
- ‘While first costs and appearance are important, many other factors must be considered.’
- ‘It's not just first costs that can shoot out of control.’
- ‘Building owners interested in minimizing first costs can also help themselves by having an open mind about a building's appearance and operation.’
- ‘Other factors include maintenance expenses and whether any of the first costs can be passed on to tenants or recouped if the facility is sold.’
- ‘That might make it possible to remove a row of direct/indirect fixtures and use wall washers to reduce first costs while providing bright space.’
- ‘Such windows have high first costs, but a low life-cycle cost because they help eliminate the need for mechanical ventilation.’
- ‘While finding a balance is important for every building owner, most industry sources say long term operating costs will almost always be greater than first costs.’
- ‘It would have taken more time to implement and would have increased first costs, but long-term savings would have been much greater.’
- ‘While high-efficiency motors are more costly than standard efficiency ones, the additional first costs can typically be recovered in one to two years.’
- ‘Carriers need to minimize first costs and realize revenue and payback as soon as possible after equipment is purchased.’
- ‘Or should you just use rooftop units that have to be replaced in 7 years with lower first costs but increased energy expense each year?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.