One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An envelope bearing a stamp or set of stamps postmarked on their day of issue.
- ‘If it is true that stamps and first-day covers reflect the ethos of a country, symbolize what people hold close to their hearts, and are of inspirational value, then Jassi provides reason for introspection.’
- ‘The one-dollar coin is in a neat first-day cover, with commemorative Norwegian stamps, postmarked on the anniversary day, 28 April, at Bygdøy, the location of the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo.’
- ‘The exhibition is a display of unusual artistic form of applied graphics stamps, first-day covers, postcards and stamp designs.’
- ‘There is a sense of holding a little piece of history in your hand when touching a South African first-day cover, signed by Mandela to mark his inauguration as president on May 10, 1994.’
- ‘Stamps, first-day covers and information sheets issued every month are sent by registered post in a colourful printed cover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.