Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for fire step
- ‘‘Ready, lads!’ he bellowed, and leveled his arbalest across the uneven parapet as the others rose to their feet on the firing step with him.’
- ‘You slept on the firing step, if you could, shells bursting all around you.’
- ‘They had dug trenches and firing steps on the gassy slope in amongst the small trees that were planted there.’
- ‘A soldier is standing on the firing step on the right with his rifle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.