One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of soldiers detailed to shoot a condemned person.
- ‘Nearly everyone cheered as the firing squad refused to shoot the revolutionary sailors.’
- ‘At the time, the only other methods in use in this country were the gas chamber, firing squad and gallows.’
- ‘Nine other Australians face death by firing squad after being detained last month at Bali airport with several bags of heroin allegedly strapped to their bodies.’
- ‘The firing squad usually fires at least three shots - at the neck, waist and ankle, he said.’
- ‘The fate of the 306 British Empire soldiers executed by firing squad, mainly on the Western Front, had been one of the hidden tragedies of the First World War.’
- ‘If he is not given a pardon, he will be executed by a five-man firing squad.’
- ‘They went through the farce of a court martial and were then shot by a firing squad.’
- ‘The day after he was fired, the President was shot by the firing squad.’
- ‘The sentence of death is traditionally carried out by an army firing squad.’
- ‘Then the commander of the firing squad went forward and shot each in the forehead.’
- ‘He could be sentenced to death by firing squad if he's convicted.’
- ‘Shortly before Christmas 1943 a young Scottish officer faced a Japanese firing squad in an anonymous execution ground in Hong Kong.’
- ‘After a one-day trial in Ho Chi Minh City, an Australian citizen has been sentenced to death by firing squad in Vietnam for drug smuggling.’
- ‘Believe it or not, death by hanging and firing squad are still legal in a few states.’
- ‘Three weeks later, Cole was shot by a firing squad.’
- ‘He returned to Naples, now in Bourbon hands, and was shot by firing squad.’
- ‘I witnessed soldiers executing people by firing squad.’
- ‘His fate, death by firing squad, would hardly seem a cause for celebration.’
- ‘The American and Spanish ministers made unsuccessful appeals for postponement of her execution in Germany, and she was shot by a firing squad on October 12, 1915.’
- ‘But remembrance is not enough for the relatives of the British servicemen executed at dawn by firing squads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.