One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Wood that is burnt as fuel.
- ‘The soggy firewood was gathered, tents put up, and a line strung between trees to hang the wet gear to dry.’
- ‘Tree crops supply shade, fodder, leaf or bark mulch, firewood, shelter, soil protection and fencing.’
- ‘Trees also provide shelter, shade, leaf mulch, fencing and firewood.’
- ‘Rivers froze and supplies of coal and firewood, already scarce over the autumn, were immobilized.’
- ‘With the discovery of gold, mining became a major consumer of firewood and rough timber.’
- ‘Ethiopia has an oil refinery, but derives most of its energy from firewood, charcoal, and dung.’
- ‘They have to go out every day and collect water and collect firewood.’
- ‘Seconds later, I heard a dull clunk as he placed the firewood on the floor.’
- ‘The most devastating impact came from cutting trees for firewood and charcoal.’
- ‘As we were fairly late arriving, all the good camping spots were gone and so was all the firewood.’
- ‘For now, her family survives on seeds and grains, and selling firewood in the local market.’
- ‘After a couple of decades in one area, firewood was cut, game was hunted out, and farm fields were depleted.’
- ‘A man was working in the woods collecting firewood when he came upon a snake wedged in the crevice of a tree.’
- ‘The mother built the fire, the children kept the firebox filled, and the father cut the firewood.’
- ‘When the wood has been neglected, it is made into barbeque charcoal and logs for firewood.’
- ‘Gorse and broom are used for cattle bedding and eucalyptus for firewood.’
- ‘Among the products currently manufactured are indoor and garden furnishings, charcoal and firewood.’
- ‘The smoke emanating from the firewood used for cooking infused a spirit of celebration into the atmosphere.’
- ‘One of the clearest memories I have of my mother was one time when my brothers and sisters had returned from the forest after collecting firewood.’
- ‘But the weather did not let up and eventually the last piece of firewood was burnt and used up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.