One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Wood that is burnt as fuel.
- ‘Seconds later, I heard a dull clunk as he placed the firewood on the floor.’
- ‘Among the products currently manufactured are indoor and garden furnishings, charcoal and firewood.’
- ‘The smoke emanating from the firewood used for cooking infused a spirit of celebration into the atmosphere.’
- ‘The mother built the fire, the children kept the firebox filled, and the father cut the firewood.’
- ‘One of the clearest memories I have of my mother was one time when my brothers and sisters had returned from the forest after collecting firewood.’
- ‘With the discovery of gold, mining became a major consumer of firewood and rough timber.’
- ‘Trees also provide shelter, shade, leaf mulch, fencing and firewood.’
- ‘The soggy firewood was gathered, tents put up, and a line strung between trees to hang the wet gear to dry.’
- ‘After a couple of decades in one area, firewood was cut, game was hunted out, and farm fields were depleted.’
- ‘But the weather did not let up and eventually the last piece of firewood was burnt and used up.’
- ‘For now, her family survives on seeds and grains, and selling firewood in the local market.’
- ‘As we were fairly late arriving, all the good camping spots were gone and so was all the firewood.’
- ‘A man was working in the woods collecting firewood when he came upon a snake wedged in the crevice of a tree.’
- ‘They have to go out every day and collect water and collect firewood.’
- ‘When the wood has been neglected, it is made into barbeque charcoal and logs for firewood.’
- ‘Tree crops supply shade, fodder, leaf or bark mulch, firewood, shelter, soil protection and fencing.’
- ‘Ethiopia has an oil refinery, but derives most of its energy from firewood, charcoal, and dung.’
- ‘Gorse and broom are used for cattle bedding and eucalyptus for firewood.’
- ‘The most devastating impact came from cutting trees for firewood and charcoal.’
- ‘Rivers froze and supplies of coal and firewood, already scarce over the autumn, were immobilized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.