One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A scorpionfish with venomous spines.
Genera Pterois and Dendrochirus, family Scorpaenidae
- ‘Firefishes have numerous small teeth that occur in clusters on the upper and lower jaws.’
- ‘The firefish is feared by marine creatures and humans alike, due to its poisonous dorsal spines.’
- ‘He might similarly be discommoded by firefish, I continued, which are easier to spot but no less hurtful.’
2A pink- or red-coloured fish related to the wormfishes.
Subfamily Ptereleotrinae, family Microdesmidae
- ‘The Firefish is one of the more popular fish in the marine hobby.’
- ‘I was wondering if anyone has had any success with schools of fire fish.’
- ‘Exotic juvenile fish such as firefish can be found in Camp Cove each year, but they rarely make it through Sydney's chilly winter waters.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.