Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A scorpionfish with venomous spines.
- ‘He might similarly be discommoded by firefish, I continued, which are easier to spot but no less hurtful.’
- ‘The firefish is feared by marine creatures and humans alike, due to its poisonous dorsal spines.’
- ‘Firefishes have numerous small teeth that occur in clusters on the upper and lower jaws.’
2A pink- or red-coloured fish related to the wormfishes.
- ‘Exotic juvenile fish such as firefish can be found in Camp Cove each year, but they rarely make it through Sydney's chilly winter waters.’
- ‘The Firefish is one of the more popular fish in the marine hobby.’
- ‘I was wondering if anyone has had any success with schools of fire fish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.