Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A scorpionfish with venomous spines.
- ‘Firefishes have numerous small teeth that occur in clusters on the upper and lower jaws.’
- ‘The firefish is feared by marine creatures and humans alike, due to its poisonous dorsal spines.’
- ‘He might similarly be discommoded by firefish, I continued, which are easier to spot but no less hurtful.’
2A pink- or red-coloured fish related to the wormfishes.
- ‘The Firefish is one of the more popular fish in the marine hobby.’
- ‘Exotic juvenile fish such as firefish can be found in Camp Cove each year, but they rarely make it through Sydney's chilly winter waters.’
- ‘I was wondering if anyone has had any success with schools of fire fish.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.