Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small African songbird of the waxbill family, the male of which has mainly pink or reddish plumage.
- ‘None of the indigobirds associated with red-billed firefinch were closely related to individuals associated with brown firefinch, or vice versa.’
- ‘The host species, various firefinches, started diverging from one another 7 million years ago.’
- ‘All my aviaries have compost heaps in them and the firefinches really seem to appreciate these, often spending large amounts of time picking them over.’
- ‘Firefinches are best kept in an aviary even though it doesn't need to be large.’
- ‘In addition to their seed diet, Firefinches are also eager to take small insects during breeding time.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.