One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of a pair of decorative metal supports for wood burning in a fireplace.
- ‘The most spectacular of these is the Capel Garmon firedog from North Wales, with its magnificent horns and elaborate and fanciful manes.’
- ‘Take the pair of silvered bronze firedogs made in the style of the late seventeenth century that ornamented the fireplace of the Grand Salon.’
- ‘Many of the cast-iron firedogs are reproduced from the original 16th to 18th Century patterns.’
- ‘Firedogs were made to occupy the tall and wide fireplaces in the principal rooms of Venetian palazzi.’
- ‘He also designed eminently practical and sleek kettles, firedogs, fenders, and fire screens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.