One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small warbler related to the goldcrest, having a red and orange crest and occurring mainly in Europe.
- ‘I was amazed to find not one but two Firecrests together just by the little gate.’
- ‘Those boon migratory companions, the firecrest and the black redstart, provided considerable entertainment to local birders in 1994.’
- ‘He watches a rare firecrest dancing on the banks of the river Fal, witnesses the tumbling flight of evening swifts and reports that experts now believe that birdsong may be - in part at least - pure exuberance, as much spirit as function.’
- ‘Do firecrests only stay for winter in the south west or can they turn up any time?’
- ‘Firecrests are tiny birds, the second smallest species in Europe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.