Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘A derelict social club plagued by firebugs could soon be demolished.’
- ‘A Burnley resident is living in fear of her house going up in smoke after firebugs targeted neighbouring derelict properties.’
- ‘An arson attack victim has spoken of her fear after finding that firebugs had set fire to her front door.’
- ‘A young boy's carefully nurtured flowerbeds went up in smoke this week when firebugs set light to allotments and destroyed everything in their midst.’
- ‘Youngsters are facing a summer without a youth club after firebugs torched a sports pavilion, destroying its sports equipment.’
- ‘Foolish firebugs who torched piles of rubbish across York early today have been accused of endangering lives.’
- ‘Firefighters called to the incidents yesterday said the irresponsible actions of firebugs caused a huge grassland blaze close to a supermarket and almost caused a serious factory fire on an industrial estate.’
- ‘Eleven arson attacks were launched over the weekend when firebugs set light to rubbish next to residents' homes across Morecambe.’
- ‘Young firebugs are being shown the error of their ways - by learning how to be firefighters.’
- ‘He blamed it all on firebugs and said heavier jail sentences were needed for arsonists.’
- ‘An arson reduction team based at Nelson Street in Bradford already works to stamp out firebugs who target schools.’
- ‘Police have set up a special task force to combat the activities of teenage firebugs believed to be behind a spate of arson attacks in Chippenham.’
- ‘While adult offenders would face prison terms of up to 14 years, young firebugs would be made to confront burns victims and families who lost homes.’
- ‘The project will see a special crew, armed with a truck, hunting down and carting away piles of rubbish before firebugs can strike.’
- ‘Young firebugs twice set fire to a one tonne bale of hay close to homes in Heysham.’
- ‘The police were then notified and, with minimal interrogation, the alleged firebug confessed to the gamut of crimes he was accused of.’
- ‘Fire chiefs today vowed to tackle school arsonists after new figures revealed firebugs were behind hundreds of fires costing more than £7m.’
- ‘A city-wide search last night failed to locate the fugitive firebug, and police fear that he may strike again.’
- ‘Wasteland which has turned into a regular target for firebugs has been lit again - three times in two-and-a-half hours.’
- ‘Fire crews were called to the home in the early hours after it is believed firebugs entered the basement and started the inferno.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.