One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Tongs for handling pieces of coal and wood when tending a fire.
- ‘The young man's face paled beneath his vivid freckles, and he picked up a pair of fire tongs.’
- ‘Remember the coal fire with its traditional brass companion set of poker, fire tongs, shovel and brush perhaps accompanied by a coal scuttle or log basket.’
- ‘There's a noisy marketplace where you can buy anything from fudge to fire tongs.’
- ‘Taking a pair of fire tongs, he thrust it into the huge furnace.’
- ‘But after seizing the fire tongs and facing the assembly it was soon found out that this was no messenger from outer space but the infuriated mistress of the house in person whose command all must obey whether drunk or sober.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.