One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The headquarters of a fire brigade, where fire engines and other equipment are housed.
- ‘Training is provided, with classes held every year at the fire station from September to April.’
- ‘Community fire safety checks can be organised by calling a fire station.’
- ‘She also visited her local fire station to handle and familiarise herself with the equipment.’
- ‘Mayo County Council has made application for the funding for the new fire station in Westport.’
- ‘I joined a large gathering outside the small fire station by the city watch house.’
- ‘There will be parking for a further 30 cars on the grass between the fire station and the north end of the car park.’
- ‘When a shoe-less mother turned up at a fire station with a suitcase, crews naturally asked how they could help.’
- ‘While on call my husband must remain within five minutes of the fire station.’
- ‘Work on the construction of a training tower at the local fire station is continuing.’
- ‘They huddled in a Red Cross shelter at a local fire station to wait for news.’
- ‘Workmen who saw the tragedy ran to a nearby fire station to raise the alarm.’
- ‘One of the lads went to the fire station to get a glass of water.’
- ‘Anyone who wants safety advice should contact their local fire station.’
- ‘People come up to me sometimes and ask if my house is a fire station because I have so many engines on the drive.’
- ‘The report was critical of many things in the town including the fire station.’
- ‘Michael raised the money by organising a sponsored bike ride and an annual fundraising event held by the local fire station.’
- ‘He once spent three weeks living in a fire station to make a documentary about Venice's firefighters.’
- ‘The airport's buildings include military bunkers and a fire station.’
- ‘When the call comes, the fire-fighters go to the fire station immediately.’
- ‘He said when the grass is cut the cuttings are being dumped in the trees at the back of the local fire station.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.