One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of flammable material used to help start a fire; a firelighter.
- ‘Newspaper was twisted into ‘spills' and used to light pipes or cigarettes or to make fire starters.’
- ‘Made from environmentally friendly compounds such as sawdust, wood chips, newsprint, and paraffin, solid fire starters are safe, portable, and easy to ignite.’
- ‘Only use approved fire starters - never gasoline or paint thinner, for example.’
- ‘It was pocked with wartlike clumps of sap, and he walked over and began pulling them off, balling them up, and nestling the natural fire starter in the kindling.’
- ‘It has stashes of things that you might need - a fire blanket, a fire starter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.