One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable device that discharges a jet of water, foam, gas, or other material to extinguish a fire.
- ‘Every house should have a multipurpose fire extinguisher on each floor.’
- ‘Your mother quickly took the fire extinguisher and sprayed the flames until it looked like they were out.’
- ‘A taxi driver came up with a fire extinguisher but couldn't get past the front door because of the force of the flames.’
- ‘The suspicious white powder that sparked a chemical scare and almost ruined a Hampshire couple's big day is believed to be from a fire extinguisher.’
- ‘I do not remember if there was a fire extinguisher near the machine controls.’
- ‘Beth jumped to action and scrambled for the fire extinguisher on top of the fridge.’
- ‘He found the fire extinguisher a few feet from the door and sprayed foam on the base of the flames to put them out.’
- ‘Extinguish a fire with an approved fire extinguisher only from a point of safety.’
- ‘Put a fire extinguisher in a visible kitchen location, away from cooking equipment.’
- ‘All tow and retrieve cars needs to have a fire extinguisher.’
- ‘A fire extinguisher is best bolted to the inside of the cabin, again within easy reach, but not in the way of your movement in and out.’
- ‘He grabbed a fire extinguisher from his utility room and battled to extinguish the flames.’
- ‘Before the rescue, Victor had also tried to beat back the flames with a fire extinguisher from his own vehicle, which was also involved in the pile-up.’
- ‘A few weeks ago, a group of children broke in by smashing a window and then set off the fire extinguisher, leaving the floor covered in foam.’
- ‘Monetary costs of the damage are limited to replacing a missing fire extinguisher and overtime custodial pay.’
- ‘Susan finally notices her stove is on fire and grabs the fire extinguisher.’
- ‘Glancing around her, she settled her gaze on a fire extinguisher mounted on one of the higher kitchen cabinets.’
- ‘One of the radiomen grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher, gaining control of the situation within moments.’
- ‘She tapped the case that held the fire extinguisher.’
- ‘It took three days to clean up the damage, which included a mess from a chemical fire extinguisher that had been sprayed over the walls and floors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.