One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable device that discharges a jet of water, foam, gas, or other material to extinguish a fire.
- ‘He grabbed a fire extinguisher from his utility room and battled to extinguish the flames.’
- ‘Susan finally notices her stove is on fire and grabs the fire extinguisher.’
- ‘Before the rescue, Victor had also tried to beat back the flames with a fire extinguisher from his own vehicle, which was also involved in the pile-up.’
- ‘Beth jumped to action and scrambled for the fire extinguisher on top of the fridge.’
- ‘The suspicious white powder that sparked a chemical scare and almost ruined a Hampshire couple's big day is believed to be from a fire extinguisher.’
- ‘She tapped the case that held the fire extinguisher.’
- ‘A few weeks ago, a group of children broke in by smashing a window and then set off the fire extinguisher, leaving the floor covered in foam.’
- ‘Put a fire extinguisher in a visible kitchen location, away from cooking equipment.’
- ‘I do not remember if there was a fire extinguisher near the machine controls.’
- ‘All tow and retrieve cars needs to have a fire extinguisher.’
- ‘One of the radiomen grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher, gaining control of the situation within moments.’
- ‘A fire extinguisher is best bolted to the inside of the cabin, again within easy reach, but not in the way of your movement in and out.’
- ‘Glancing around her, she settled her gaze on a fire extinguisher mounted on one of the higher kitchen cabinets.’
- ‘He found the fire extinguisher a few feet from the door and sprayed foam on the base of the flames to put them out.’
- ‘Your mother quickly took the fire extinguisher and sprayed the flames until it looked like they were out.’
- ‘Extinguish a fire with an approved fire extinguisher only from a point of safety.’
- ‘Monetary costs of the damage are limited to replacing a missing fire extinguisher and overtime custodial pay.’
- ‘Every house should have a multipurpose fire extinguisher on each floor.’
- ‘It took three days to clean up the damage, which included a mess from a chemical fire extinguisher that had been sprayed over the walls and floors.’
- ‘A taxi driver came up with a fire extinguisher but couldn't get past the front door because of the force of the flames.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.