One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A staircase or other apparatus used for escaping from a building on fire.
- ‘He veered right and started frantically climbing the fire escape, only to feel a tug on his shirt.’
- ‘As a result of Mr Kirby's complaint, two officers from York Fire Safety investigated the fire escape yesterday.’
- ‘They were near an overflowing dumpster, and a fire escape heading up into one of the buildings.’
- ‘A few years ago, a family of mistle thrushes looking for somewhere to live chose the corner of a factory fire escape in Trafford Park.’
- ‘He sighed as he leapt to the fire escape and climbed down the stairs.’
- ‘There is a lift service to the upper floors and a fire escape to the rear provides access to Anne's Lane and Dawson Street.’
- ‘He turned, glancing back at me to make sure I was following, and went over to the fire escape.’
- ‘I heard the cops running up from behind me and ran and leapt onto a nearby fire escape and climbed to the roof.’
- ‘It swung downward jerkily, allowing access from the ground and up onto the fire escape.’
- ‘The Inspector scaled a fire escape at the back of the building, captured the bird and released it into the nearby river.’
- ‘He suggested there should be a fire escape in addition to the main staircase.’
- ‘Part of the problem was the design of a fire escape at the back of the building.’
- ‘Only a little light seeps in from the alley as Tom walks toward the fire escape.’
- ‘He walked over toward the stairs of the fire escape and tried pushing them down again but to no avail.’
- ‘I climbed up to the first platform on the fire escape and turned around to see Tina still on the ground.’
- ‘There was a bookshelf with books stacked all over it and a few windows, one which had a fire escape next to it.’
- ‘He leapt back out onto the fire escape and decided to head for the roof and hope that he would be able to jump to a building.’
- ‘Her eyes soon caught sight of a fire escape that led to the top of the building.’
- ‘The right side of the fire escape broke free from the brick building and swung down towards the street.’
- ‘Joey placed an ax on his shoulder, then climbed the fire escape to the new roof.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.