One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vehicle carrying firefighters and equipment for fighting large fires.
- ‘Before the railway company could remove the carriages from the track however a fire engine got stuck on the line.’
- ‘Seconds later they are climbing aboard their fire engine, the double doors open and the vehicle flings forward into the traffic.’
- ‘The officer who suffered the most serious injuries had to be cut free from the cab of the fire engine.’
- ‘Do you want your children trapped in a fire because it was cheaper to send a fire engine rather than an ambulance to a heart attack?’
- ‘Both an ambulance and a fire engine, heading to separate emergency calls, were delayed.’
- ‘There were no vehicles on the island apart from one fire engine, one police car and one ambulance.’
- ‘A big fire engine manned by a team of firefighters would come out to the neighbourhood and set up a ladder and rescue the animal.’
- ‘The fire engine had hit his car heavily and ploughed into pedestrians.’
- ‘An investigation has been launched after a father of two died when his car was hit by a fire engine which went through a red light.’
- ‘If an ambulance, police car or fire engine is attending a hoax call then it can't be at a real emergency.’
- ‘One fire engine remained outside, along with two uniformed police officers.’
- ‘Emma and Sarah had the unexpected opportunity to sit in the cab of a real fire engine.’
- ‘At least one officer is needed to properly man a fire engine.’
- ‘One fire engine and a specialist salvage unit, which carries flood related equipment, attended the incident.’
- ‘Every fire engine in Greater Manchester could soon be equipped with equipment to save the lives of heart attack victims.’
- ‘The police and fire brigade joined in, with a dog handling demonstration and the chance to have a close-up look at a fire engine.’
- ‘Residents said they fear that next time it could be a fire engine or ambulance that could barred by thoughtlessly parked vehicles.’
- ‘Local firefighters took a fire engine to join his funeral procession.’
- ‘From a health and safety point of view, could a fire engine or ambulance have easy access on to the estate in an emergency?’
- ‘A fire engine appeared first and the firefighters gave James oxygen before an ambulance arrived to take him to hospital.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.