One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The department of a local or municipal authority in charge of preventing and fighting fires.
- ‘After the fire was under control, the fire department allowed us into the garage level to remove our cars.’
- ‘We suggest that you also call your local fire department and ask it to do a safety inspection.’
- ‘The police descended, and with them came the fire department, ambulances, and a helicopter.’
- ‘One time, the local fire department had to be called to a store opening to control the mob.’
- ‘Another source for information is your local fire department's hazardous material team.’
- ‘The fire department responded in a short time, but it felt like an eternity for somebody sitting in a crippled jet.’
- ‘A few minutes later the fire department arrived to evaluate the scene and verified the aircraft was safe.’
- ‘The local fire department had to be called in to extinguish the blaze.’
- ‘If you're not sure where to start, contact your local fire department for recommendations.’
- ‘To learn more about volunteer opportunities in your area, call your local fire department.’
- ‘The office also coordinates action with local police and the fire department.’
- ‘They continued to fight the fire until the fire department arrived on scene.’
- ‘Your local fire department may agree to put on a workshop for area contractors.’
- ‘They are designed to be used by trained staff in an attempt to put out a fire while waiting for the fire department to arrive.’
- ‘Soon the whole school was evacuated and the fire department on the way.’
- ‘The municipal fire department was called and the firemen battled in a fruitless attempt to control the blaze.’
- ‘The local fire department had a huge influence on my life and my experiences there will never be forgotten.’
- ‘I directed him to call the fire department then try to extinguish the blaze.’
- ‘He then alerted paramedics and the volunteer fire department who were at the crash site in a short amount of time.’
- ‘My wife opened the front door - it was the fire department, wanting to know if we were OK.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.