Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The process of aiming and firing heavy weapons.
- ‘Appropriate fire control and maneuvering the tank platoon are determining factors in accomplishing the platoon's mission.’
- ‘The defenders' problem was not lack of fire-power, but lack of effective fire control due to the jamming.’
- ‘The joint land attack cruise missile defense elevated netted sensors program will provide elevated sensors to support surveillance and fire control functions in a deployed theater beginning in 2008.’
- ‘World War I was an ‘artillery war’ par excellence, witnessing the dramatic development of indirect fire and artillery fire control.’
- ‘The digital fire control system allows the gunner or commander to select six different targets to be engaged in just over 30 seconds.’
- ‘A high power-to-weight ratio, a 120 mm smoothbore cannon, advanced fire control and special armour laminates make a formidable adversary.’
- ‘The longer weapon range, sophisticated fire control, and advanced countermeasures of these systems, even in small numbers, present a formidable barrier to our fleet of aging aircraft.’
- ‘The system is capable of automatic range and envelope determination and fire control and second shot capability on the same approaching target.’
- ‘Based on squad reactions and fire control, the scenario can be adjusted to replicate small-unit-, squad-, or platoon-level threats.’
- ‘The device is used for fire control of individual and crew-served weapons in light and darkness.’
- ‘That resulted in the inability of federal forces to ensure effective reconnaissance and fire control over a localized rebel position zone.’
- ‘Both missions were a success, each providing the task force with valuable lessons in direct fire control and maneuver.’
- ‘The digital fire control system calculates separate firing solutions for each of the 8 projectiles.’
- ‘Advanced radars provide 360 coverage for surveillance and fire control.’
- ‘This requirement will increase the tank section's proficiency in direct fire control, distribution, and maneuver.’
- ‘It focuses on ensuring soldiers are equipped with world-class weapon systems, ammunition and associated target acquisition and fire control products.’
- ‘Growth programs are under way to extend the range and accuracy of rockets and missiles and to upgrade the launcher fire control and mechanical systems.’
- ‘Here he briefly describes the dimensions, speed, ordnance, and fire control of each class of warship as well as modifications made to them during the war.’
- ‘Platoon and battery commanders have considerable problems with fire control, protection-in-combat and reconnaissance organization, and terrain orientation.’
- ‘The gunner selects the target on a display screen and the target is locked-on before launch using highly automated fire control.’
2The prevention and monitoring of accidental fires.
- ‘Truckloads of logs were cut to make a fire control line along the Yalmi Road, north of Orbost, in eastern Victoria, during the 2003 bushfires and taken to East Gippsland mills.’
- ‘Here are some of the interesting facts researchers have found out in the 70 years since the Forest Service began its aggressive fire control program.’
- ‘It was not until the mid-twentieth century that technology made it possible for state fire control agencies to manage all but the most severe outbreaks in rural and forested areas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.