One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person keeping watch for fires, especially forest fires or those caused by bombs.
- ‘He plays a crucial health and safety role as a fire watcher.’
- ‘Failing to notice the brutal dictatorship under which the daughters of educated men lived, she became a fire-watcher by night during the Blitz and a mechanic constructing tank engines by day.’
- ‘A fire watcher with suitable fore fighting equipment should being attendance at all times.’
- ‘A fire-watcher during the Second World War bombing of Hull, he is said to have been bombed out nine times.’
- ‘An additional fire watcher may be required to observe areas that are hidden from the view of a single fire watcher.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.