One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person keeping watch for fires, especially forest fires or those caused by bombs.
- ‘A fire watcher with suitable fore fighting equipment should being attendance at all times.’
- ‘Failing to notice the brutal dictatorship under which the daughters of educated men lived, she became a fire-watcher by night during the Blitz and a mechanic constructing tank engines by day.’
- ‘He plays a crucial health and safety role as a fire watcher.’
- ‘An additional fire watcher may be required to observe areas that are hidden from the view of a single fire watcher.’
- ‘A fire-watcher during the Second World War bombing of Hull, he is said to have been bombed out nine times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.